Friday, February 19, 2010

A Liberal Arts Education

Just watch:



So, apparently, college makes you more liberal. Yay!

But, colleges don't teach simple U.S. Civics. Boo!

Hey Tucker, I hate to break it to you, but, last time that I checked, the GREs didn't test about proficiency in the U.S. Government. Also, neither does the (regular) SATs nor the ACTs. If only there was a place to learn about these fundamental things about our nation. If only there was a location of education where youngsters were forced to go in order to be taught these things. Wait.... It's coming to me.... Give me a second.... That's it! A penitentiary! Wait, no that's not it. Hold on... it's just about there... almost... Yes! HIGH SCHOOL!

Guess where I was taught about the Constitution (in grave detail) and forced to be able to recite the different Presidents, and name all of the states in the union? In my junior year of high school. My teacher made it a priority. In fact, when some students bombed a quiz on the Constitution, he tore them something new simply because some of my classmates and I would one day be called to defend it and, as he put it, "It may be a good idea to at least have caroused the document."

In my 2.5 years as a college student, I have not been required to list off facts about the Order of Presidential Succession. And, to be honest, based on most liberal arts core curriculums, it does not matter.

Most Liberal Art curriculums involves a combination of courses from: philosophy, history, modern languages, literature and rhetoric, mathematics, sciences, and the humanities.

When I applied to colleges and had my respective interviews with each of them, one of the questions I would always ask was if there was any particular requirements, in terms of courses taken in high school, in order to be accepted. You know what the answer I got every time I asked was? Just the requirements to graduate high school.

You see that Tucker Carlson?! It was, in essence, expected that I knew these things already. Interesting, then, how the politics, philosophy, and history courses were designed to have a modern tone and have the expectation that I knew my 1st Amendments rights.

Watching some of the CPAC coverage today, I heard an reverberating theme of insulting education. At one point, there was a criticism about various feminism-studying classes at different colleges; however, any educated person could tell you that in any social scientific study, researches CANNOT pass moral judgment on the subjects and must study the group personally (least, at a minimum, skew the data). I heard a criticisms of "socialized" education.

Okay, the Conservatives of the nation hate the Education Department and think that education should be left to a local level. Yeah, that has been great so far based on the said research. What do we have as a nation-wide academic achievement test? Well, de-facto, the SAT. I would like the people who want an end to DOE to look me in the eye and say that the SAT is an accurate test of knowing what is expected to be known after 12 (or so) years of education.

You want to solve this lack of civics education problem? Have a nationalized standardized test that measures the bare minimum of what is expected to be known after high school (i.e. what is the smallest Pythagorean triple?, How does a bill become a law?, What is the powerhouse of a biological cell? What sparked World War I? What two things are needed to make a complete sentence?). If a student fails to pass it, no degree for them. It is simple: make a high school degree something that is not given, but earned!

As for the liberal thing, please go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment